Operation Beastmaster

Yesterday was Jason's birthday. And I wanted to make it special...memorable. So, I had these big visions of him coming home to a sparkling, clean house, lit candles, mood music and a ridiculously gourmet meal of like lobster, scallops and some other technique-driven foods, just so I could show off and prove that I can cook (since we all know he does the cooking 95% of the time). Well, I didn't start planning early enough and I quickly got intimidated out of trying anything too crazy. I mean, I wanted to be confident enough to know we wouldn't be ordering pizza at the end of the night. So, I flew by the seat of my pants once Wednesday rolled around.

I made Avalanche Bars and Piña Colada cupcakes for him to take to work and share with his co-workers. The Avalanche Bars are basically Rice Krispies Treats hopped up on steroids. They were incredibly easy to make and quick too. But, then that seemed like too little. So, I decided to throw in some cupcakes. I had all the ingredients for the Piña Colada cupcakes, so I took a shot in the dark. And, boy, am I glad I did!! They were phenomenal!! Light, moist and they tasted exactly like you were on the beach sipping on a Piña Colada! So good!



Then, I went about setting up something I've been wanting to do for like ten months. A Nerf war! So, I created a package, delivered it to his car to be opened when he left from work, and prepped in the meantime.


When, he got off work, it was on!! I loaded my gun, slipped some ammo in my pockets and crouched by the window waiting for his car to pull up. Then, I got the bright idea to hide in the Yukon, which was in the driveway. There's no way he would be expecting me to come in the house behind him! So, as he pulled up, I peeked out from in the Yukon and giggled. His head was clearly already in the game. I watched as he got out of the car, loaded his gun, stored his ammo and slinked into the house. I crept out of the Yukon and into the house and was met with fire coming from the office. The game was on! We had an absolute blast and he was totally a kid in a candy store. And apparently he was finally thankful to see that his practice with Nerf guns was actually going to come in handy after 12 years. Whatever, I still beat him!!

After a break, we then proceeded to dinner. Which he loved, despite it not being the aforementioned dinner. On the menu, we had:
  • Appetizer: Shrimp Cocktail 
  • Main Course: Prime Rib with Horseradish Sauce 
  • Sides: Rolls, Mashed Potatoes & Tomato, Olive and Mozzarella Salad with Basil Vinaigrette 
  • Dessert: Brandy Alexander and Chocolate-Covered Strawberries 
  • Wine: Cabernet Sauvignon 
 Before dessert, I gave him his gift. Which was funny, because he was way more excited than I had imagined he'd be. But, I'm glad he loved it. I mean...who wants the complete collection of the Lost series?!?!  Haha.  So, anyways I think he had a happy birthday. Woot woot!!!


2 comments:

Hailey said...

o my! Mr. Baker would love the nerf war! I so have to do this!

Christine said...

omg cutest idea ever! You guys are so fun! We need to hang out more! please? pretty please?
thank you!